A Piece of Peace Project Description as of 9/4/2019
The inaugural A Piece of Peace project focuses a global Richmonds of the World supportive message of PEACE in response to the tragic and related terror attacks in New Zealand (3/15) and Sri Lanka (4/21). New Zealand and Sri Lanka are home to 3 of the 92 communities of Richmond around the world >> Richmond, Christchurch & Richmond, Nelson in New Zealand and Richmond Hill, Galle, Sri Lanka. Physically, the project involves the creation of two very large banners featuring the word P E A C E surrounded by an artistic mural promoting peace and unity. Spiritually, the project involves thousands and thousands of Richmonders from many of the Richmonds around the world becoming a piece of peace by participating in this global cooperative effort, which will hopefully inspire more cooperative efforts wrapped around peace.
The regional community of Richmond Virginia (RVA), led by students and teachers from Richmond Public Schools (RPS) and Richmond community leaders, will collaborate with many other communities of Richmond around the world to complete the two banners and fulfill the project’s goals. The students, teachers, staff, parents and alumni of Richmond Community High School will lead the charge for RPS, which will include RCHS student artists and other RPS student artists working with RVA mural artists to design and paint each banner’s background mural. Below is a letter of support from RCHS Principal Kenya Massenburg:
Logistically, the A Piece of Peace project has the following schedule for the late summer and early fall of 2019:
- Starting mid August 2019 – Use the following ROTW Google Survey > https://forms.gle/wETNfJ2v3f3JnCgr8 < to gain the insight of Richmonders in the RVA and from around the world as to the design and statement of the two mural backgrounds. This information gathering process will be managed by Richmond Community HS and looks to gain to intersect with:
- RCHS and the Richmond Public Schools community – students, teachers, parents, staff and alumni
- Richmonders across the RVA, with special attention to the RVA Inter-Faith community
- New Zealanders and Sri Lankans living in Virginia
- Richmonders and Richmondites living in participating communities of Richmond around the world
- Mid September 2019 – Working through Plaza Art, ordering two large primed canvas banners (10 feet tall by 36 feet long) as well as two primed canvas rolls for the 7 foot letters (7 feet by 36 feet) for the two sets of 5 letters (P / E / A / C / E)
- Late September, 2019 – A set of 2 letters will be shipped to 5 different Richmonds that agree to orchestrate a signing event in their Richmond > The project is in the process of inviting the following Richmonds to participate and plan a signing event for their specific letters:
- Richmond Yorkshire, UK – P
- Richmond upon Thames, UK – E
- Richmond California, USA – A
- Richmond British Columbia, CA – C
- Richmond, Victoria, Australia – E
- Thru September, 2019 – Using the input gained from the ROTW Google Survey, RPS student artists and RVA mural artists will design two mural backgrounds around the outline of the 5 letters spelling PEACE
- October 2019 – Hopefully on the same day, the RVA and each of the 5 Richmonds will hold a signing event for A Piece of Peace where Richmonders will sign their name to both letters, each person then becoming a piece of peace for New Zealand and Sri Lanka, and ultimately for the global community of Richmond. Richmond Virginia’s signing event will be in Libby Hill Park, home to the View that named the community Richmond, and anticipates thousands of Richmonders from the RVA signing the back of the banner.
- Efforts will be made to involve as many other communities of Richmond around the world to host signing events and become a piece of peace.
- October, 2019 – RPS student artists and RVA mural artists will collaborate to paint the mural background around the outline of the 5 letters for each of the 2 banners
- November 2019 – Signed letters sent back to Richmond VA where RVA artists assemble the two banners > Signatures from other than the 5 Richmonds will be sewn or incorporated in some way into the banners
- December 2019 – Finished banners shipped to friends in Richmond, Christchurch, New Zealand and at Richmond College, Galle, Sri Lanka who will share it with their communities of Richmond and their countries of New Zealand and Sri Lanka, before sending the PEACE banners to other communities of Richmond around the world.
For more information contact:
Rick Tatnall, Richmonds of the World