A Piece of Peace
A Project for New Zealand and Sri Lanka (Update – as of 6/5/2019)
A Piece of Peace Project Description
The inaugural A Piece of Peace project focuses a global Richmonds of the World supportive response to the tragic terror attacks in New Zealand (3/15) and Sri Lanka (4/21). New Zealand and Sri Lanka are home to 3 of the 91 communities of Richmond around the world >> Richmond, Christchurch & Richmond, Nelson in New Zealand and Richmond Hill, Galle, Sri Lanka. Physically, the project involves the creation of two very large banners featuring the word P E A C E surrounded by an artistic mural promoting peace and unity. Spiritually, the project involves thousands and thousands of Richmonders from many of the Richmonds around the world becoming a piece of peace by participating in this global cooperative effort.
The regional community of Richmond Virginia (RVA), led by students and teachers from Richmond Public Schools (RPS) working with Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney, will collaborate with many other communities of Richmond around the world to complete the two banners. Richmond Community High School student artists and other RPS student artists will work with RVA mural artists to design and paint each banner’s background mural.
Logistically, the A Piece of Peace project has the following schedule for the summer of 2019:
- June 2019 – Creation of two large canvas banners (10 feet tall by 36 feet long) as well as two sets of 5 individual letters (P / E / A / C / E) in same canvas of appropriate size for the banner.
- June and July 2019 – RPS student artists and RVA artists design a mural background around the outline of the 5 letters promoting peace and unity – artists influenced by community input to include:
- RVA Inter-Faith community
- Richmond Public Schools community – students, teachers, parents and staff
- New Zealanders and Sri Lankans living in Virginia
- Late June 2019 – A set of 2 letters will be shipped to 5 different Richmonds that agree to orchestrate a signing event in their Richmond > The project invites the following Richmonds to participate and plan a signing event for their specific letters:
- Richmond Yorkshire, UK – P
- Richmond upon Thames, UK – E
- Richmond California – A
- Richmond District, San Francisco CA – C
- Richmond, Victoria, Australia – E
- Early August 2019 – RPS student artists and RVA artists will paint the mural background around the outline of the 5 letters for each of the 2 banners
- Late August 2019 – Hopefully on the same day, proposed to be Saturday August 31, each of the 5 Richmonds will hold a signing event for A Piece of Peace where Richmonders will sign their name to both letters, each person then becoming a piece of peace for New Zealand and Sri Lanka. Richmond Virginia’s signing event will be in Libby Hill Park, home to the View that named the community Richmond, and anticipates 10,000+ Richmonders from the RVA signing the back of the banner.
- Efforts will be made to involve other communities of Richmond around the world to host signing events and become a piece of peace.
- Early September 2019 – Signed letters sent back to Richmond VA where RVA artists assemble the two banners > Signatures from other than the 5 Richmonds will be sewn or incorporated in some way into the banners
- Late September 2019 – Finished banners shipped to new friends in Richmond, Christchurch, New Zealand and at Richmond College, Galle, Sri Lanka who will share it with their communities of Richmond and their countries of New Zealand and Sri Lanka.
For more information contact:
Rick Tatnall, Richmonds of the World